• Archives
  • Categories
  • Second man charged over cold case deaths of Michael Chye and Rita Caleo

    2019 - 06.16

    Arrest: Rita Caleo and Michael Chye. Photo: NSW Police Media Breakthrough: Gerard Caleo is arrested on his arrival at Sydney International Airport from Kuala Lumpur on August 15 last year. Photo: NSW Police Media

    Police have arrested and charged a second man in connection with the deaths of a wealthy doctor and his sister in Sydney’s eastern suburbs more than two decades ago.

    The 52-year-old man was arrested at his home in Ramsgate in Sydney’s south early on Wednesday.

    He was taken to Kogarah police station where he was charged with two counts each of murder and solicit to murder.

    The man, who was known to the two victims, was refused bail and is to appear at Sutherland Local Court  on Wednesday.

    The arrest comes more than two decades after Michael Chye was shot dead in the garage of his Woollahra mansion in 1989.

    The following year, his sister Rita Caleo was stabbed to death in the en suite of her bedroom in her Double Bay flat.

    Mrs Caleo’s brother-in-law, Gerard Caleo, 42, was arrested in relation to the case at Sydney International Airport last August in what police described as a “major breakthrough”.

    Detectives from the Unsolved Homicide Team charged Mr Caleo with solicit to commit murder, accessory before the fact to murder and accessory after the fact to murder. He remains in custody, AAP reports.

    Wednesday’s arrest is a long time coming for Strike Force Nichola, formed after the deaths of the siblings, whose father was a senior-ranking police officer in Malaysia.

    Dr Chye, 36, was shot three times in a gangland-style execution as he drove his Mercedes into the garage of his house in Attunga Street, Woollahra, on the night of October 16, 1989.

    An inquest into his death in 1991 found that Dr Chye, his sister and her husband had been been involved in a dispute over a $3.6 million waterfront property in Blakehurst, in Sydney’s south.

    Mrs Caleo, 39, was so worried about her brother’s death she handed her solicitor a sealed envelope which read: “To be opened only if my death is unnatural”.

    The envelope contained the names of two people she accused of organising her brother’s execution.

    She was stabbed in the stomach during the night of August 10, 1990, while her children slept in an adjoining bedroom.

    A live-in nanny heard sounds coming from the main bedroom of the unit in Bay Street, Double Bay before finding Mrs Caleo’s body at 1.30am.

    Mrs Caleo’s husband, Mark Caleo, was working at one of his two Sydney Italian restaurants at the time of the killing, police said at the time.

    Detectives anticipate making further arrests.

    This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

    Comments are closed.